Unfortunately for many, springtime means allergy time. When exposed to an allergen, the body triggers the immune system to go into action. The immune system releases histamine that attaches to receptors in blood vessels causing them to enlarge. Histamine binds receptors causing redness, swelling and itching. Over-the-counter allergy medications are focused only on relieving the symptoms. They do not get to the source of the symptoms. There are many side-effects to these over the counter medications, including dryness of the mouth, nose and throat, drowsiness, disturbed coordination, upset stomach, dizziness, chest congestion, and headaches. In some cases, over the counter medications can even cause heart palpitations, blurred or double vision, hyperactivity or excitability (especially in children), and nervousness or anxiety.
While treating the symptoms may seem the easiest, it’s important to understand that the side-effects of these chemicals increase in severity with long-term usage and may even eventually worsen the symptoms. The best treatment for allergies is to eliminate the source of the allergens.
- Replace old pillows, rugs and blankets-these are dust collectors
- Wash and dry bed linens at least twice a month including blankets and quilts
- Avoid white sugar as it has no nutritional value and actually overtaxes the body during digestion.
- Avoid dairy products as it increases the production of mucus and can mimic an allergic reaction.
- Eat whole foods. Healthy foods build the immune system and actually help to alleviate allergic reactions.
While trying to eliminate the cause of allergies, there are always healthier choices than over-the-counter chemicals to help with relief.
- Vitamin C, when taken daily, can block the histamine that causes allergy symptoms.
- Apple Cider Vinegar is a popular home remedy that can be taken as 2T Apple Cider Vinegar, mixed with 4 oz of water and 1 T of natural honey up to three times a day.
- Raw honey has also been known to relieve allergy symptoms. It must be natural and local honey. Take 2T up to three times a day.
- Zinc-helps control inflammation in the respiratory tract and supports proper immune function
- Standard Process Antronex- supports the body’s natural anti-histamine function
- Standard Process Spanish Black Radish- protects against free radicals
One of the primary causes of allergies is an impaired immune system, which substantially increases the risk of allergic reactions. The immune system becomes stressed due to an overload of toxins. Chiropractors recognize the important role a healthy nervous system plays in a healthier immune system. Most over-the-counter and prescription allergy treatments adversely affect the nervous system, which means that they will adversely affect your overall health and wellness. Chiropractic adjustments remove interferences to the nervous system and improve immune system functioning. Many people report allergies improve with regular Chiropractic care.